Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Preparation Program, Social Science (5-12)
Have a bachelor’s degree and looking to become a social science teacher? The online social science teacher certification program at WGU Washington is the fastest way to earn your social science teaching license. You’ll become a highly qualified teacher prepared to teach middle school or high school social science.
Who the program is for:
- Individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree (preferably in one of the social science disciplines) and want to become a certified middle school or high school social science teacher.
- Unlicensed substitute teachers, career changers, retired military personnel, school paraprofessionals, and others with bachelor’s degrees who feel the call to teach.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
To be considered eligible for enrollment in this program, you must meet the appropriate content requirements (PDF). Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to determine whether you have the sufficient background for entry into this program.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, the online teaching degree programs at WGU Washington are NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Washington’s online post-baccalaureate program in social science, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a highly qualified middle school or high school social science teacher. This program includes the following areas of study, supervised practice teaching in an actual classroom, and completion of a professional portfolio.
- Foundations of Teaching
- Teacher Education Diversity
- Instructional Planning and Presentation
- Social Science Content (Grades 5-12)
- Demonstration Teaching (includes practice teaching)
Total Program: 27 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Demonstration Teaching (Student Teaching) Fee: $1,000 ($100 application fee + $900 fee)
At WGU Washington, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)8 CUs is the minimum for post-baccalaureate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Washington state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Washington, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Washington Advantage
WGU Washington leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not time spent in class. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in social science education.
As a WGU Washington student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of Western Governors University’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Washington program.
- Online communities from Washington and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of our robust student community and interact with students from both within Washington and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and anytime. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Washington higher education, WGU Washington will enable you to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Washington is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
Standard Time to Completion: 1½ to 2 years.
Note: A personal evaluation of your transcripts from prior colleges is required prior to admission. While you cannot transfer credits directly toward completion of this program, your transcripts will be used to determine whether you have the necessary social science academic content background for enrollment.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Washington Admission Process
To enroll into this WGU Washington program, you must:
- Be a Washington resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess and provide proof of earning a bachelor’s degree (BA or B.S.) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Complete Western Governors University's three-part online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Washington degree program.
Before beginning the Demonstration Teaching (student teaching) portion of the degree program, you will be required to complete the PRAXIS I Pre-Professional Skills Test and potentially a PRAXIS II exam. Registering and paying for these exams may be your responsibility. You are required to meet these Washington-specific requirements prior to beginning the Foundations of Teaching domain of study.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.