B.S. Health Informatics at WGU Washington
WGU Washington's online health informatics degree will give you a tremendous advantage. The BS in Health Informatics combines concepts in healthcare, information technology, and leadership practice to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to be a valuable designer, developer, and manager of health information systems. You’ll become a unique asset in the high-demand fields of health informatics and health information management with the added credibility of an AHIMA certification and several recognized IT certifications.
Who the program is for:
- Healthcare professionals who want to develop IT skills to move into health informatics.
- Health information professionals who want to move into health informatics.
- IT professionals who want to move into health informatics.
- Business professionals with strategic management experience pursuing a career in health informatics.
- Motivated individuals who are seeking a career that combines expertise in healthcare, IT, and business.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Washington's online bachelor's degree in health information technology, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a competent, credentialed health informatics professional. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project.
- General Education
- Healthcare Data
- Health Information Technology
- Information Technology Fundamentals
- Medical Terminology
- Leadership and Management
- Healthcare Compliance and Classification
- Health Information Law and Regulations
- Project Management
- Professional Practice Experience
Total Program: 120 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience and IT certifications may waive some degree requirements.
Recognized IT Certifications Incorporated into this Program
This program incorporates several industry-recognized IT certifications, as well as an AHIMA certification, as part of your degree program. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuitiona huge cost savings for you):
- CIW Web Foundations Associate
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician
- CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Database Administration Fundamentals
Eligibility for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) Credential:
Graduates of WGU Washington’s BS in Health Informatics program are eligible to apply for the AHIMA Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) credentialing exam. More information can be found at: http://www.ahima.org/certification/rhia.aspx
WGU Washington’s Health Informatics program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
According to the WGU 2012 CAHIIM Annual Performance Assessment Report:
- 100% of graduates and their employers expressed satisfaction with the WGU experience
- 100% of graduates and their employers expressed satisfaction with their level of preparedness for the workplace
- The pass rate for the Registered Health Information Administrator exam (RHIA) is 100%.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Other student responsibilities:
- Criminal Background Check: $42
- Professional Liability Insurance: $35
At WGU Washington, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours) 12 CUs is the minimum for undergraduate students as well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Washington state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Washington, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Washington Advantage
WGU Washington leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not time spent in class. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in health informatics.
As a WGU Washington student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of Western Governors University’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Washington program.
- Online communities from Washington and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of our robust student community and interact with students from both within Washington and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and anytime. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Washington higher education, WGU Washington will enable you to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Washington is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
For students with an associate's degree or its equivalent: 2 to 2½ years.
For students with little or no prior college: 4 to 5 years.
WGU Washington maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Washington Admission Process
To be admitted into this online Health Informatics degree, you must:
- Apply for admission
- Be a Washington resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Demonstrate IT or healthcare experience through at least one of the following five methods:
- Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable)
- Have earned an associate’s degree from an allied health program (A.S or A.A.S. acceptable)
- Have earned an associate’s degree in Business Administration (A.S or A.A.S. acceptable)
- Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last 5 years
- Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience, strategic business management experience, or healthcare related work experience
- You will also be required to take and pass the Western Governors University's Readiness Assessmenta short, three-part online admissions test that helps determine the likelihood of success in a WGU Washington program.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to learn more about what is required of you.