BS in Information Technology-Security at WGU Washington
Our online IT security degree will set your security career in motion. The BS in Information Technology—Security will help you develop the latest security management skills and provide you with 13 recognized industry certifications, including Cisco’s CCNA® certification, that will give you a tremendous professional advantage. You will become an expert security manager.
Who the Program is for:
- Established IT security managers who need a bachelor's degree and additional certifications to advance their careers.
- Experienced IT professionals with "real world" experience who wish to move into IT security and assurance positions and need the credentials to do so.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Washington’s online IT security degree program, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a competent IT security professional. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project.
- Information Technology Fundamentals
- General Education
- Web Development
- Windows OS/Server Administration Fundamentals
- Operating Systems
- Software Development
- Interconnecting Network Devices
- Project Management
- Leadership and Management
- Technical Writing
Total Program: 122 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience and IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU Washington.
Recognized IT Certifications Incorporated into this Program
This program incorporates 13 recognized industry certifications as part of your degree program. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuitiona huge cost savings):
- Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA® Security)
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Linux+
- CIW Web Foundations Associate
- CIW Web Design Specialist
- CIW Database Design Specialist
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows OS Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Software Development Fundamentals
Note: Your IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU Washington.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
At WGU Washington, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours) 12 CUs is the minimum for undergraduate students as well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Washington state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Washington, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Washington Advantage
WGU Washington leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not time spent in class. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in IT security.
As a WGU Washington student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of Western Governors University’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Washington program.
- Online communities from Washington and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of our robust student community and interact with students from both within Washington and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and anytime. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Washington higher education, WGU Washington will enable you to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Washington is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
For students with an associate's degree or its equivalent: 2 to 2½ years.
For students with little or no prior college: 4 to 5 years.
WGU Washington maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Washington Admission Process
To be admitted into this WGU Washington program, you must:
- Be a Washington resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following four methods:
- Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable)
- Have completed the following high-level IT coursework within the last five years:
- Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
- Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
- One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
- One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
- Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years
- Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience
You may also be required to take and pass the WGU Readiness Assessmenta short, three-part online admissions test that helps determine the likelihood of success in a WGU Washington program. Applicants who possess one of the IT certifications that WGU Washington recognizes for competency credit will have this requirement waived.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.