Answering Your Questions About Admissions

Q: Will you admit students who live outside of the state of Washington?
No. Currently, WGU Washington admissions are only open to Washington residents. Students who live in other states are encouraged to explore Western Governors University.

Q. What if my prior college no longer exists?
If you attended a college that no longer exists, you may be able to get transcripts from a state agency, such as a Department of Consumer Affairs or Department of Higher Education. If the college was taken over by another school, check with the current school. You can also submit any unofficial copies of transcripts or course records you may have, although we can't promise that you will be able waive any WGU Washington requirements.

Q: Do I have to pay the application fee to be admitted?
Yes. You may speak with an Enrollment Counselor without paying the application fee, but the fee must be paid before you can be admitted. The application fee helps defray our costs associated with admissions, transcript collection, enrolling students, etc.

Note: It is against federal regulations to use federal financial aid funds to pay an application fee.

Q: What if English isn't my first language?
At WGU Washington, you will be expected to communicate clearly in writing and during conversations with your mentor and WGU Washington staff. If English is not your native language, you will need to submit proof of a qualifying score on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). A qualifying score of 80 or higher is required.

Note: You will need to use the TOEFL code for Western Governors University, which is 3949.

Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to get additional information. For more information specifically on the TOEFL, visit the TOEFL website.

Q: Does WGU Washington require transcript submissions?
Yes. Transcripts are used by your assigned mentor to help develop your personalized Degree Plan. WGU Washington requires that transcripts of all previous academic work completed at other colleges or universities be submitted for evaluation. It is your obligation to request official transcripts from the institutions you have attended when applying for admission. At the present time, we don’t require a minimum grade point average (GPA) or SAT/ACT scores for admission.

Q: Can I transfer previously earned college credits to WGU Washington?
Yes. If you’re applying for a bachelor’s degree program and have completed college coursework at another institution, you may have your transcripts evaluated and may be able to have some or all of the requirements for lower-division courses cleared through transfer credits. In some programs, professional certifications may clear additional requirements.

Q: I have lots of credit hours but don't have a bachelor's or associate's degree. What will transfer?
It depends on how well the courses you’ve already taken match the competencies in the WGU Washington degree program you’re applying for. Each WGU Washington degree program specifies the competencies you must possess and demonstrate mastery of in order to receive your degree; having accumulated credits isn’t sufficient proof that you have mastered the competencies. Prior courses must be relevant. If your prior coursework directly matches the requirements for your WGU Washington bachelor’s degree, you may be able to clear one or more required lower-division courses. However, if your coursework was in subject areas that don’t match WGU Washington’s degree requirements, the amount of transfer credit you receive may be limited.

Q: Who reviews my transcripts? How long does it take?
Your official transcripts will be evaluated by a member of the Transcripts Department at Western Governors University (WGU Washington's parent institution). The time it takes to review your transcripts and report which subject areas (domains) are cleared will vary. We will inform you via email when your transcripts arrives, and we endeavor to report transfer decisions through your Enrollment Counselor within three business days of that date.

Q: What is the deadline for transcript submission?
Transcripts must be received by the 1st of the month prior to your intended start date. WGU Washington requires that ALL official transcripts of previous academic work completed at other colleges and universities be submitted for evaluation.

The Transcripts Department should receive official transcripts by the 1st of the month prior to the start date of your program. It is your obligation to request official transcripts from all institutions you have attended. PLEASE REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Transcripts should be mailed directly from the sending institution to the following address:

Transcripts Department
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

How to request transcripts

Q: What about transcript requirements for graduate students?
Students applying to a graduate degree program must submit an official transcript verifying receipt of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Transcripts should be received by the 1st of the month prior to the start of your program. (Some exceptions may apply. Talk to an Enrollment Counselor for exact deadlines.) Graduate-level program requirements are never cleared through transfer credit, however, competencies obtained through prior study may help graduate students accelerate toward degree completion.

Schema Markup for WGU Washington Logo

You’re using an unsupported version of your browser..

You’ll still have full access to the site, but some functionality may be lost. For the best experience, upgrade your browser by following the links below.