Washington State Need Grant FAQs

Q: What is the Washington state need grant?
A: It is a grant program funded by the State of Washington to help the state’s low-income undergraduate students pursue degrees, hone skills, or retrain for new careers.

Q: What are the eligibility requirements?
A: The state need grant is for undergraduate Washington residents enrolled at an eligible institution (such as WGU Washington) who meet established median family income and household size requirements. A list of requirements can be found here: WA State Need Grant Eligibility. WGU Washington follows the regulations set forth by the Washington Student Achievement Council when determining eligibility.

Q: Do students at other Washington universities receive the state need grant?
A: Yes, public universities and other private Washington universities are approved to participate in the program.

Q: What is the maximum award amount?
A: At WGU Washington, the maximum annual award amount is $5,619 for the neediest students enrolled full-time. The award amount varies from school to school and was determined by the Washington Student Achievement Council. Many award amounts will be smaller due to median family income, household size, other aid received, and the State of Washington’s 25 percent self-help requirement.

Q: How do I apply?
A: When you complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list WGU as your school of choice (use Western Governors University’s FAFSA code: 033394), www.fafsa.gov, your information will be sent to the State of Washington and WGU Washington. Your eligibility will be reviewed automatically. There is no separate application process for you.

Q: What does the state need grant’s 25 percent self-help requirement really mean?
A: Twenty-five percent self-help means you can’t receive all of your financial aid money in grant funds only. 25 percent of your cost of attendance figure must be covered by loans or other aid that is not a grant. Pell grant and Washington state need grant combined can only equal 75 percent of your total cost of attendance.

Q: How does it change my financial aid package?
A: It can reduce the amount of student loans you have to borrow. WGU Washington encourages responsible borrowing; the less you borrow now, the less you have to pay back later. The Washington state need grant will not reduce your Pell grant, if you are eligible and receiving one.

Q: Will I receive the award every term?
A: The funding from the State of Washington is limited, so there are no guarantees; however, WGU Washington will do its best to attempt to award continuing students as long as they continue to meet all other eligibility requirements. You will need to do your part, as well; that means completing requirements and providing residency documentation in a timely fashion.

Q: What if I have questions about my financial aid?
A: Please contact the financial aid office at (877) 435-7948 option 3 or by email at finaid@wgu.edu.

Schema Markup for WGU Washington Logo

You’re using an unsupported version of your browser..

You’ll still have full access to the site, but some functionality may be lost. For the best wgu.edu experience, upgrade your browser by following the links below.